Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Merauder interview with: Vocalist, Jorge. March 9th. 2010.



Vista: Please introduce yourself, and give us a brief history of Merauder & the current line up, and who does what?

Jorge: WELL HOMEY, I'M JORGE ROSADO, VOCALIST. AND MERAUDER'S BEEN AROUND FOR LIL' WHILE. LOL! ABOUT 20 OR 21 YEARS OF EXISTING BUT NOT SINCE DA FIRST ALBUM, WHICH IS, "MASTER KILLER", ON CENTURY MEDIA, AROUND '94 OR '95. BUT SINCE THEN WE SERIOUSLY HAVEN'T PRODUCED MUCH. WE DID 3 ALBUMS IN LIKE 10 YEARS. NOT GOOD BUT WE SHARE DA FAULT WITH DA LABEL FOR SURE. WE'RE ALSO A BUNCH OF NUTS!! LOL! ANTHONY, SOB AND ME PARTY LIKE ROCK STARS AND NEVER GAVE A FUCK ABOUT ANYTHING OR ANYONE, WHICH I KNOW SCARED OFF A LOT OF PEEPS, BUT AT LEAST WE'RE REAL MOFO'S, WE WALK IT LIKE WE TALK IT PAPA!! BUT UNFORTUNATELY IT RESULTED BADLY, ANTHONY ENDED UP ON DA STREETS FOR LIKE 10 TEARS, HOMELESS, LIVING IN SHELTERS, I WAS NO BETTER...ENDED UP IN JAIL, AGAIN, DRUGS, ETC...BUT IT'S DA LAST TIME. I WAS JUST DOIN' DA WHOLE STREET THING, WITHOUT GIVEN DETAILS NA' MEAN? BUT, WE NEVER STOPPED, IT WAS JUST HARD 2 FIND DA RIGHT GUYS 2 REPLACE THEM, CAUSE THE ORIGINAL GUYS WEREN'T ACTIVE NO MO'. SO IT TOOK AWHILE UNTIL THEY FOUND ME. BASSIST DREW AND GUITARIST DARIAN HEARD DAT I NEEDED PEEPS TO PLAY, THEY REACHED OUT TO ME, ONE THING LEAD TO DA NEXT...DAVE GUITARIST AND DRUMMER BOBBY BLOOD STEPPED IN AND THEN WE DROPPED A GREAT FUCKIN' ALBUM DATS ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO GET CAUSE OF "REGAIN RECORDS"!!! WHICH UNFORTUNATELY PUT IT OUT!! IF YOU LIKE "MASTER KILLER", THEN YOU DEFINITELY WILL LOVE THE NEW ONE CALLED, "GOD IS I"!!! IT'S DA HARDEST, AND PUREST, AND NOT TO MENTION WE STARTED THIS MUTHAFUCKIN' METALCORE SHIT. IT'S DA BEST FROM DA BEST!! WELL, ACTUALLY WE'RE DA ONLY REAL METALCORE, OR NOW IT'S CALLED GANGSTAMETAL. 98% OF THESE SO-CALLED METALCORE BANDS ARE DEFINITELY NOT!!

Vista: Tell us about your new album? Where was it recorded?

Jorge: WE DID DA NEW CD AT "BIG BLUE MEENIE STUDIO" IN DIRTY JERSEY!! LOL! FUCKIN' AMAZING PLACE, GREAT FOR BIG-BUDGET BANDS AS WELL, CHECK THEM OUT!! BUT IT WAS A LIL' HARD CAUSE WE ALL LIVE FAR FROM EACH OTHA, I'M IN BROOKLYN, DREW, DARIAN & DAVE ARE UPSTATE N.Y., AND BOBBY'S IN VEGAS!! SO GETTIN' DA CHEMISTRY LIKE DA WAY WE WANTED AND STILL RECORDING A FUCKIN' GREAT ALBUM, PROBABLY DA BEST RECORD AROUND IN A LONG TIME, NOT SHITTIN' ON ANYBODY, BUT I'M JUST SAYIN'...TOO MUCH OF DA SAME SHIT GOIN' AROUND, EVERYONE SOUNDS AND DOES THE SAME!

Vista: The title of the album is a really bold statement, "God Is I"..What's the thoughts and meaning behind this title?

Jorge: SPIRITUALLY, IT MEANS DAT I'M IN CONTROL OF MY OWN LIFE!! I MAKE MY OWN HEAVEN OR HELL!!! SO DA THINGS WE WANT IN LIFE, WE ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR GETTIN', NOT GOD OR DA DEVIL, THAT IS ALL BULLSHIT, NOT REALITY!! MAYBE WHEN YOU DIE! AND ON DA OTHA TIP, IT'S SAYIN' DAT I ALSO, AM "GOD", IN THIS SCENE! MERAUDER AND I MYSELF GAVE LIFE TO A LOT OF PEOPLE WHOM DESERVE IT OR DON'T, WHATEVER! BUT DA CREDIT IS NEVER TO WHERE IT BELONGS!! I DID SO MUCH FOR MUSIC, AND NO ONE KNOWS, FUCK IT! DATS HOW MOST OF DA NEW JACKS MAKE NAMES FOR THEMSELVES, IN DA SHADOW OF A REAL NIGGA, THEN THEY GET WHAT THEY WANT AND DISS YOU! THEN PEOPLE WONDER WHY I'M ALWAYS FUCKIN' PEOPLE UP! MENG, WE EVEN WENT SO FAR AND PLAYED A FEDERAL PRISON!! JUST MERAUDER!! NOBODY DOES THIS, WELL MAYBE NOW THEY'LL DO A SHOW THERE, CAUSE I WENT AND SAID IT. BUT DA DIFFERENCE IS WE'RE FROM DA STREET, WHEN THEY WERE FUCKED UP!! AND WE DO THINGS FROM DA HEART, WE DO STREET SHIT...METAL IS STREET MUSIC HOMIE, IT CAME FROM BLACKS!! METAL CAME FROM JAZZ MUSIC, AND JAZZ MUSIC CAME FROM VOODOO, SO DO DA MATH!! IT'S A PROVEN FACT!! BUT LIKE I SAID BEFORE, WHERE CREDIT LIES!

Vista: Speaking of the new album, I wanted to ask you about the song , "Gangsta". Tell us a little bit about this song, lyrically?

Jorge: IT'S WHO I AM AND HOW I GREW UP, AND WHY I'M SO PROUD OF WHO I AM! AND DA SAME TIME, I'M SAYIN' IT'S O.K. TO HAVE SOME FORM OD GANGSTERISM IN YA'! LOL! WELL, WHAT I MEAN IS TO STAND ON YOUR OWN TWO FEET BRO...THINK FOR YOURSELF, DO FOR YOURSELF, BE FOR SELF! DON'T GET ME WRONG..."SELF" TO ME IS WHATEVER IS IN MY CIRCLE OF LIFE, REAL FRIENDS, FAMILY, AND MYSELF BEIN'!! DON'T BE BITCHES YA WHOLE LIVES!!

Vista: Tell us more about the new record label that Merauder is on. I heard and see that the new album is actually really hard to find, not only here in America but also in Europe it has been difficult for people to get a hold of it. Give us some thoughts on what is going on?

Jorge: LIKE I SAID MENG, "REGAIN RECORDS" WERE EXCITED TO SIGN US. THEY GAVE US DA BEST DEAL AT DA TIME, SO WE WENT FOR IT!!! WE DIDN'T KNOW DAT THEY WERE GOIN' TO KEEP OUR ALBUM A SECRET!! LOL!! FUCKIN' DICKHEADS PUT OUT NEWS ABOUT THEIR BANDS BUT NOT US!! MEANWHILE, WE'RE DA ONES EVERYONE WAS WAITIN' FOR!! AND OUR ALBUM SMOKES ANYTHING ELSE THEY PUT OUT!! TYPICAL FAGGOT LABEL NIGGAS!! NOW A DAYS, THEY SIGN BANDS ACCORDING TO WHO KISSES THEIR PATHETIC ASSES!!


Vista: I always wondered, from your perspective, how was it when Merauder was on Century Media Records? Was it good, or bad?


Jorge: NEVER!!! THEY DID GET US OUT THERE, BUT FUCKIN' US AT THE SAME TIME...WE GOT SMART AFTER A WHILE OF TRYING TO CHANGE THINGS, BUT IT ALL WENT DOWN FROM THERE! WE DIDN'T TOUR ENUFF, THEY WERE DOIN' SHIT FOR US AND SO ON!!


Vista: I wanted to know, what and when was your fisrt introduction to hardcore? How did you get involved in it?


Jorge: FIRST TIME I GOT INTO ANY METAL AT ALL WAS IN PUERTO RICO. BUT THEN I CAME BACK TO BROOKLYN AND MY NEIGHBOR WHO WAS A GANGBANGER GOT ME INTO HEAVIER SHIT, THRASH, DEATH METAL, PUNK, AND HARDCORE!! WHICH WAS WEIRD CAUSE NOBODY REALLY LIKED DAT IN DA GHETTO.


Vista: I remember seeing you perform in the band, Ill Nino many, many years ago at a metal-fest in New Jersey. How did that come about that you were in that band? I vividly remember it was very different than what they ended up sounding like without you in the band. They suck now! But, were you out of Merauder during that time period? Also, why did you slpit from them?


Jorge: I WAS DONE FOR A MOMENT WITH MERAUDER, CAUSE A LOT OF BULLSHIT. i THOUGHT I SHOULD BRANCH OUT AND DO OTHER AND MO' THINGS WITH MUSIC. SO I STARTED ILL NINO, WHICH I HATE DAT STUPID NAME AND DID SOME THINGS. BUT THEY WANTED TO DO THINGS DAT I WASN'T INTO LIKE A PANTERA TRIBUTE ALBUM!! ARE YOU KIDDIN' ME!! PANTERA! WHY DO I HAVE TO DO A TRIBUTE TO THEM...THEY CAME INTO THE HOUSE, THEY DIDN'T BUILD THIS, THEY JUST TOOK FROM IT!! I WAS DOIN' THIS FROM DA BEGINNIN', BEFORE THEM. NOT ALL OF DA SUDDEN...CAUSE THEY'RE WHITE BOYS FROM DA SOUTH!! FUCK DA SOUTH HOMIE!! YO, REALLY, WHO REALLY GIVES A FUCK...IT ALL BELONGS TO US ANYWAY PAPA!! LATINOS TAKEN OVER EVERYWHERE!! LOL!! BUT SERIOUSLY, THEY WERE GOIN' BEHIND MY BACK AND REDOIN' DA SONGS, MAKIN' IT MO' LIKE STUPID STAINED SOUNDIN', JUST A BUNCH OF BITCH ASSES!! EXCEPT FOR DA ONES WHO CAME AFTERWARDS. MO' PEOPLE I GAVE LIFE TO...AND I'M NOT DA CREATOR, DA ALL MIGHTY!! LOL!!


Vista: Hear is another question that I always wanted to ask. Is it true that when Max left Sepultura, you tried out for the singer position? True or false?


Jorge: TRUE MENG, I WENT TO BRAZIL FOR LIKE 10 DAYS TO PRACTICE WITH THEM AND ALL. THEY STARTED RECORDING THE PRACTICES AND THEN I WAS DISSED! CAUSE OF SOMETHING DAT MADE NO SENSE, CAUSE AFTER ALL DAT THEY NEVER DID A SHOW WITH THEM OTHA GUYS...WHATEVER!! IT'S A LONG STORY, BUT I WASN'T MEANT FOR DAT BAND...I GOT TOO MUCH ENERGY FOR THEM. THEY COULDN'T HANDLE NOR KEEP UP WITH ME FOR SURE MENG!! I GOT TOO MUCH TO OFFER!


Vista: You guys just toured with Entombed. How long was that tour? Any good stories? I know you have toured pretty heavily through Europe and Japan recently. How was it?


Jorge: JUST 10 DAYS BRO. SHORT. IT WAS O.K. MENG, QUITE AND PEACEFUL TOUR UNTIL WE GOT ON STAGE AND ON DA TOUR BUS!! LOL!! BUNCH OF DRUNKS!!! DEVIOUS GUYS ARE AWESOME PEEPS. WELL, DA STATES SUCK!! PERIOD!!! DATS WHAT BANDS SAY ABOUT DA U.S.A. SCENE AND 99% OF ITS VENUES REALLY SUCK!! THEY TREAT BANDS LIKE SHIT OUT HERE, UNLESS YOU'RE METALICA OR SOME STUPID SHIT! BUT EVERYWHERE ELSE IN DA WORLD IT MOST OF THE TIME GREAT, MAKES IT ALL WORTH DA WORK! JAPAN'S GREAT!! EUROPE'S GREAT!! NEXT SOUTH AMERICA AND AUSTRALIA, HOPEFULLY!!


Vista: Tell us about the Merauder cover of, "See You In Hell", originally but Grim Reaper? I remember seeing that Grim Reaper video every damn weekend on Headbanger's Ball when I was young! It seems like an odd cover song for Merauder, was there any reason beind it or is it all in the name of METAL!?


Jorge: ACTUALLY MENG!! YOU'RE KIND OF RIGHT! ALL IN DA NAME OF METAL AND AT DA SAME TIME, BUGGIN' PEOPLE OUT WITH IT! BUT I LOVE DAT SONG AND DA BAND. THEY WERE A GREAT BAND DAT MANY PEOPLE DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT, SORT OF LIKE US!! LOL!


Vista: As a vocalist, who are your main influences?


Jorge: WEIRD STUFF MENG, LIKE HECTOR LAVOE, RAPHY LEAVITT, ANDY MONTANEZ, CHEO FELICIANO, RONNIE JAMES DIO, JAMES BROWN, JEFF TATE AND A FEW MO'. MENG, GROWIN' UP, I'D LISTEN TO DISCO, SALSA, HIPHOP, R&B, REGGAE...DATS WHAT MAKES ME BRO!


Vista: Here's yet another question that I've wondered about and wanted to ask. How did Eddie/Leeway end up doing a demo with Merauder? Were you out of the band during that period? What did you think of Eddie doing vocals for Merauder? I love what Eddie did with Leeway, no doubt...But I thought that Merauder demo with Eddie sounded like horrible karaoke! It sounded like the vocals just didn't fit with the music at all!?!


Jorge: DAT HAPPENED AFTER I LEFT. THEY THOUGHT THEY COULD REPLACE ME...I DON'T KNOW WHY THEY CHOSE EDDIE, BUT I SUPPORTED IT. THEY WERE MY BOYS. BAND SHIT DOES MAKE UP FRIENDSHIP. WE'VE BEEN FRIENDS FOR YEARS BEFORE MERAUDER WAS EVEN A THOUGHT. AS A MATTER OF FACT, I HELPED START MERAUDER WAY BACK BEFORE, WHEN MINUS SANG FOR MERAUDER. I INTRODUCED VINNY AND SOB FOR DA FIRST TIME CAUSE ALL THEM DIDN'T KNOW EACH OTHER BUT BOTH KEPT TALKIN' ABOUT STARTIN' A BAND, SO I HOKKED THEM UP WITH EACH OTHER!! FUNNY HOW MERAUDER STAYED WITHIN' DA REAL OLD SKOOL BROOKLYN CREW!! BUT DAT DIDN'T WORK OUT WITH EDDIE...YA' GOTTA REMEMBER, NOBODIES RESPONSIBLE FOR WHAT MERAUDER DID IF IT WASN'T FOR SOB, ANTHONY, VINNY, MINUS AND ME!! WE'RE MERAUDER, NO ONE ELSE!! SO IF YA COME INTO SOMETHING DAT YOU HAVE NO INVOLVEMENT WITH DAT PROCESS OF DON'T DEMAND SHIT...NOT IN MERAUDER!! WE DO OUR OWN THING SO IT WOULD HAVE NEVER WORKED WITH EDDIE NOR GOTTEN THIS FAR.


Vista: Who did the cover album artwork for the, "God Is I" record?


Jorge: CRAIG HOLLOWAY!!! FUCKIN' GREAT ARTIST, ONE OF MY FAVORITES, AND A GREAT FUCKIN' GUY!! I WISH I COULD DO MO' FOR GUYS LIKE THIS, WORD!! PEOPLE GIVE HIM A CALL...NO FUCKIN' FREEBIE'S!!! MY BOY'S GOT A FAMILY AND NEEDS TO EAT!! MONEY TALKS!!


Vista: In your opinion, what is your take on the NYHC scene, as well as the hardcore scene over-all? You've been involved in the hardcore scene for a hell of a long time. Times have changed. Is it better, worse, or just about the same?


Jorge: I CAN'T SAY IT'S BETTER OR WORSE CAUSE SHIT ALWAYS HANGS AROUND. BUT DA MEANING OF IT ALL AND DA RESPECT IS ALL FUCKED UP!!! EVERYONE'S HANGIN' ON TO SOMEONE ELSE, THEN WALKIN' AROUND WITH THEIR HEAD UP IN DA AIR, TATTOOING THEIR WHOLE BODY UP WITH HARDCORE LOGOS...WOW!!! LOL!! THEN THEY TALK SHIT ABOUT RICK TA LIFE, MEANWHILE THEY'RE DOIN' DA SAME SHIT!! THEY'RE JUST ROLLIN' WITH A DIFFERENT CROWD, AND THIS IS WHAT'S OCCUPYING DA HARDCORE SCENE, ALONG WITH DA OTHER SCENES.


Vista: How did you become a member of Merauder? Minus was the original vocalist, but how did it all come about? 


Jorge: WELL ONE DAY I WAS WALKIN' AND RAN INTO SOB, HE TOLD ME DAT MINUS LEFT AND THEY WERE LOOKIN' FOR SOMEONE, BUT I THINK SOB NEVER HEARD ME SING BEFORE...WELL NOT INTO A MIC OR ANYTHING LIKE DAT, JUST SCREAMIN' IN DA STREETS AND STUFF. BUT I GAVE IT A TRY AND IT WORKED OUT!!! IT HAD TO...WHO ELSE WAS GONNA COME IN AFTER MINUS BUT ANOTHER FELLOW BROOKLYN BORICUA BROTHER!! MERAUDER IS GANGSTAMETAL. IT TAKES MORE THAN INSTRUMENT SKILLS TO BE IN THIS BAND. A LOY OF OTHER THINGS YOU WOULDN'T FIND IN A BAND OF MUSICIANS DOIN'!!! WE'RE DA REALIST OF DA REAL!! MERAUDER PARA SIEMPRE MERAUDER!!!


Vista: What are your top ten essential hardcore records?


Jorge: BREAKDOWN.
            SHEER TERROR.
            TOKEN ENTRY.
            PAGAN BABIES.
            ABSOLUTION.
            BAD BRAINS.
            CRO-MAGS.
            UNDERDOG.
            SICK OF IT ALL.
            REST IN PIECES.
I GOT MO', BUT DATS 10! LOL!


Vista: When not touring, recording, practicing...What are your interests and hobbies?


Jorge: JUST BEIN' A FATHER AND A HUSBAND IS GREAT. I LOVE EVERY MINUTE OF IT! BUT I RUN 5 1/2 MILES EVERYDAY. DRAWING, PLAYIN' WHATEVER SPORTS. WORK ON MY POR VIDA PRODUCTIONS/CLOTHING LINE AND CATERING COMPANY. PRACTICE SANTERIA AND UP ROCKIN'...U KNOW TYPICAL SPIC SHIT!! LOL!!


Vista: I see that you have "NY" tattooed on your chest, in the design of the NY Mets. Are they EVER gonna make it to the playoffs? What do the Mets have to do to get to the promise land {the playoffs}?


Jorge: GET RID OF MINAYA!!! HE SUCKS!!! THEY NEVER WANT TO PUT MONEY ON SOMETHING GOOD! LOL!!! YEP, I'M A BIG MET FAN!!! SINCE LIKE '75 OR '76...I USE TO BE A BIG YANKEE FAN, AH WELL, BACK IN DA BILLY MARTIN ERA!! LOL!! BUT I LOVE UNDERDOGS TOO MUCH...IT'S MO' FUN!! PLUS YANKEES HAVE BECOME A FRANCHISE!


Vista: Final thoughts?


Jorge: YEAH, GET DA NEW MERAUDER, "GOD IS I" ON REGAIN RECORDS OR ITUNES...DA BEST ALBUM OF THIS YEAR, HANDS DOWN!! U WON'T BE DISAPPOINTED!! I PROMISE REAL METALCORE, AKA, GANGSTA METAL CAUSE SOME OF YA' RUINED OUR THING...SENOR j,j,!!

No comments:

Post a Comment